Contacting Civic Consulting
Potsdamer Strasse 150
Job opportunities at Civic Consulting
Civic Consulting is a Berlin based economic and public policy consultancy supporting European and international institutions as well as governments and civil society organisations through economic and legal research, policy and programme evaluation, impact assessment, and market studies. Our goal is to provide clients with high quality research, impartial analysis and practical, evidence-based policy advice to further sustainable policies that safeguard consumersí interests. We have special expertise in the areas of information society and privacy, consumer policy and markets, as well as food chain economics, among others. For more details, see project references on our website.
We are currently offering the following positions:
We are looking to recruit a (junior) consultant/researcher with a background in economics as member of our team for conducting economic and legal studies, evaluations and impact assessments in the area of information society and privacy.
At Civic Consulting you will:
- Actively contribute to the work of a small, dedicated and multi-cultural core team in Berlin that focuses on producing high quality evaluations and impact assessments, as well as economic, legal and market studies in the area of information society and privacy, mainly for EU institutions;
- Manage research projects, apply your knowledge of quantitative and qualitative research methods, and conduct economic, legal and policy analysis at EU and Member State level that is expected to focus on areas related to the implementation of the EUís Digital Agenda. You will analyse the impacts and evaluate the effectiveness and efficiency of policies and legislation related to Information and Communication Technologies and their opportunities and risks, including in the area of data protection/privacy;
- Write analytical reports, and edit contributions of external experts;
- Represent Civic Consulting at external meetings with clients and stakeholders;
- Prepare proposals for public tenders regarding relevant studies.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications and experience:
- Masters degree or PhD in economics; or economics in combination with a relevant subject (e.g. computer sciences, data protection law/privacy, law and economics). Applicants with other degrees will be considered, if they have exceptionally relevant professional experience and complementary knowledge in economics;
- At least three years relevant professional experience (junior consultant/researcher) or five years (consultant/researcher), including in the management of policy or economic research projects, e.g. in consulting, academic research/publishing, or EU/international organisation, and ideally in conducting evaluations and impact assessments;
- A track record of designing and applying quantitative and qualitative research methods in relevant fields (e.g. semi-structured expert interviews, surveys, statistical analysis of data);
- Experience in preparing proposals for public tenders or research projects;
- Knowledge of policy, legal and economic issues related to new Information and Communication Technologies and their opportunities and risks, including in the area of data protection/privacy. Thorough knowledge of the current and future data protection acquis and related data protection rules would be an asset;
- Documented interest in developing subject and methodological expertise and taking on new research themes;
- Ability to communicate clearly and to write about complex topics well-structured and in plain language;
- Proficiency in Word and Excel. Experience in using statistical software packages (e.g. Stata, SPSS) would be an asset.
We expect all applicants to possess excellent knowledge of English at the level of a native speaker. Knowledge of German or French and other EU languages would be an asset. EU citizenship or work permit required.
Please complete the application form that can be downloaded here (please use 'save link as' function of browser and open with Word).
Send application form by email only to email@example.com, together with two writing samples in English (e.g. report, article or essay paper authored exclusively by you). Please indicate the title of the position you are applying for and do NOT send CV or cover letter.
Closing date for applications: 19 April 2014. We will contact all candidates with the outcome of their application: you should expect to hear from us within 4-6 weeks after closing date, so please be patient and do not follow up by mail or phone. Please note that as part of the application procedure, shortlisted candidates will be required to complete a short writing task.
Civic Consulting recognises and actively promotes the benefits of a diverse workforce and is committed to treating all employees with dignity and respect regardless of race, gender, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion or belief.